Text Only Version
Central Virginia Community College
Home About Academics Admissions Resources Contact
CVCC Campus in Summer

Financial Aid FAQ - Central Virginia Community College

Questions & Answers

Click on the question to see the answer.

What forms are needed to apply for Financial Aid?

For federal student aid (Pell grant, SEOG, Work-Study) and State Aid, one must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. Forms and procedures are available at the Office of Financial Aid. You may complete the FAFSA on-line by visiting the following web site www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Top of page     

When do I apply for financial aid?

The FAFSA should be filed as soon after January 1 preceding the academic year of enrollment. For example: If you are planning on attending CVCC for the 2005-2006 academic year, you should apply as soon after January 1, 2005 as possible. The CVCC priority deadline for applying for financial aid is March 15, 2005.

Top of page     

If I need help completing the FAFSA form what do I do?

You may make an appointment with a financial aid advisor by calling 1-434-832-7814. Make sure you bring all the necessary forms with you. If you're not sure what forms to bring ask the Financial Aid Office. You will be expected to complete the general information sections on the form. We will be glad to assist you will the income reporting sections.

Top of page     

Will the Financial Aid Office submit my FAFSA application electronically for me?

Yes. We will be glad to submit your FAFSA application for you electronically. Your are encouraged to accurately complete the FAFSA prior to making an appointment for electronic submission. However, if you are not sure how to fill out a particular question we will assist you in correctly completing the form. We also ask that you submit signed copies of your and your parent's (if applicable) federal tax returns. For more information concerning this service please call our office at 1-434-832-7814 or toll-free at 1-800-562-3060.

Top of page     

What other sources of aid are available?

There are many local, state and national organizations which grant scholarship funds. Financial Aid has a database of outside sources now available for student use on this web site. Visit our Scholarship Search page on our web site: www.cvcc.vccs.edu/Financial Aid/Searches.asp.

Top of page     

Who has access to the information on the forms filed as part of the financial aid application?

Only the financial aid office staff at CVCC has access to this confidential information.

Top of page     

Will my financial aid award be reviewed while I am at CVCC?

Each year you will be asked to re-apply for aid by completing the current FAFSA form so that changes in your family's financial situation and changes in CVCC's fees can be considered.

Top of page     

How do I apply for a Pell grant?

When you complete a FAFSA, you are automatically considered for a Pell grant.

Top of page     

What do I do with the Student Aid Report (SAR) that I received in the mail?

If you listed CVCC on your FAFSA you will not need to submit your SAR to our office. Keep the SAR for your records. However, if you did not list CVCC on your application you must submit your SAR to our office.

Top of page     

If my parents are separated or divorced, do they both have to contribute to my education?

The custodial parent and current spouse, if any, must complete the FAFSA. The non-custodial parent is not required to report information for federal student aid purposes.

Top of page     

How do I become an independent student for federal aid purposes?

If you meet one of the following: are 24 years old, are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, are married, are a ward of the court, have no living parents and have no legal guardian, or have a legal dependent who gets more than half of their support from you. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has more details about these categories.

Top of page     

What if I have a credit balance on my student account?

If you have a credit balance in your account (after tuition and, if applicable, textbook charges have been paid) you will be mailed a check during the fifth week of the semester.

Top of page     

How do I obtain a work-study job?

You must first complete a FAFSA form and a CVCC Federal Work-Study Application. Once all current positions are filled we will start a waiting list. Students often drop or change jobs during the year, and opportunities may arise.

Top of page     

When and how do I get paid for my work-study job?

You will be paid twice a month for the hours that you work. It is your money to spend as you see fit on your education related expenses. Work-Study students are currently paid $7.00 an hour and work 15 to 20 hours a week.

Top of page     

What is the difference between the Accounting Office and the Office of Student Financial Aid?

These two offices are located in different places, and are separate from one another administratively. The Office of Student Financial Aid Services awards grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study. The Accounting Office sends bills and collects payments for college charges not covered by aid. The Accounting Office also prepares your financial aid balance information to be mailed in the form of a check to you from Richmond.

Top of page     

What is CVCC's Title IV School Code?

Our Title IV School Code is 004988. Make sure to list our College on your financial aid application. If not, you will need to submit your Student Aid Report to our office once you receive it in the mail.

Top of page     

If I have corrections that need to be made to my Student Aid Report, can I bring the forms into the Financial Aid Office for electronic submission?

Yes, Make all the necessary corrections and make sure you have the required signatures on Part 2 of your SAR. Drop off your SAR along with copies of your and your parents (if applicable) federal tax returns and we will submit the corrections electronically. We normally receive the corrections back in about a week.

Top of page     

Will I have to pay back any financial aid money if I drop out or withdraw from school?

If you receive federal financial aid and drop out or withdraw from school during the first 60% of the semester you may be required to repay a percentage of the aid that you received. You will be notified by mail if you owe a repayment of federal funds back to the U.S. Department of Education.

Top of page     

If my or my family's current year income will be drastically lower than last year's income what do I do?

Contact the Financial Aid Office and request a Reduced Income Statement Form. Complete and submit the form to the Financial Aid Office for consideration. Often projected year income can be considered. These considerations are made at the family´┐Żs request and on a case by case basis.

Top of page     

What is my Data Release Number (DRN)?

Your Data Release Number is a four-digit number assigned to your application by the U.S. Department of Education and printed on the top right corner of your Student Aid Report (SAR). Anyone wanting to receive or change your FAFSA information must have your DRN in order to do so. Do not give out your DRN to anyone unless you have agreed to give him or her access to your FAFSA information.

Top of page     

What is a PIN?

Formerly known as the Electronic Access Code (EAC), a PIN is the code that you need to: Sign your FAFSA electronically; Retrieve your Renewal FAFSA information over the Internet; File your Renewal FAFSA using the FAFSA on the Web site; Access the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) web site and view information about other federal student aid you may have received. Your PIN is similar to the PIN you use to access your bank account. To protect the privacy of the information you are submitting, you must keep your PIN secret. If you need a PIN, have lost or forgotten your PIN, or if you think someone else knows your PIN, you can request a new one at www.pin.ed.gov/.

Top of page     


Click one of the following links:

Contact the Financial Aid Office:
Central Virginia
Community College

3506 Wards Rd.
Lynchburg VA 24502-2498

Phone: 434.832.7814
Fax: 434.832.7775
Email: click here

Located in Amherst Hall, Room 2100

Mon. - Fri. 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM