Information about the CVCC Radiologic Technology Program
accredited Radiologic Technology
Program at CVCC has many tools necessary to teach students the ins and outs of the
profession. Our program has instructional equipment that includes a dedicated
classroom specific to the needs of radiography students, and an energized x-ray
room on campus for use in laboratory courses.
Film and film processing equipment as well as computerized imaging equipment (CR
capability) makes the CVCC program a great choice to learn about the different types of
Our Mission Statement
Radiologic Technology at Central Virginia Community College is dedicated to providing
excellence in quality education in the imaging sciences while graduating qualified
entry level radiographers who support the needs of the healthcare system.
Our Program Goals
- Students will demonstrate the effective communication skills necessary for employment in the medical field.
- Students will function as entry-level radiographers while demonstrating clinical competency in necessary radiography skills.
- Students will develop problem solving and critical thinking skills relating to the duties of a radiographer.
- Students will develop an appreciation and understanding of the importance of professional development, conduct, and growth.
- Students will demonstrate verbal communication skills
- Students will demonstrate written medical communication skills
- Students will demonstrate knowledge and confidence in positioning skills
- Students will apply the ALARA concept in practicing radiation protection to the patient, self, and others
- Students will determine the optimum exposure factors to achieve a quality diagnostic radiograph
- Students will demonstrate the ability to think constructively
- Students will demonstrate the ability to recognize quality radiographic images and suggest corrections as needed
- Students will demonstrate the ability to select/modify positioning & procedural techniques relative to patient condition/ability
- Students will demonstrate professional conduct and knowledge of ethical behavior
- Students will identify the importance of professional growth & development
- Over the past five years, the Radiography Program has a 99% ARRT Certification Examination passage rate for 1st time attempts.
100% passage for the classes of 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005
- Over the past 5 years, the Radiography Program has a 94.7% job placement rate (6 months post-graduation) for those seeking employment in the field.
- Over the past five years, the Radiography Program completion rate average is 80.4%
Class of 2011: 80% completion rate
Class of 2010: 88% completion rate
Class of 2009: 79% completion rate
Class of 2008: 80% completion rate
Class of 2007: 75% completion rate
- Over the past 5 years, 99% of all radiography students would recommend the CVCC radiologic technology program to others wishing to enter this profession.
- 100% of employers are satisfied with program graduates 6 months after hiring and score radiography graduates a 4.3 out 5 points.
Our Faculty and Staff:
||Cheryl V. Cunningham, MS, RT-R|
||Priscilla Liggon R.T. (R) (ARRT)|
||N. Tim Wilhelm BS, R.T. (R) (ARRT)|
||Brandy Wright R.T. (R) (ARRT)|
Stephanie Henderson, R.T. (R) (ARRT)
Tammy Ilch, BS R.T. (R) (MR) (ARRT)
Regina Walker R.T. (R) (CT) (ARRT)
Pam Epperson R.T. (R)
Vicky Ressler R.T. (R)
Lisa Dye R.T. (R)
Clinical procedures, which include scheduled day, evening, and weekend rotations, are performed at our affiliated clinical sites:
Lynchburg General Hospital
Virginia Baptist Hospital
Radiology Consultants/ Central Virginia Imaging
Centra Southside Community Hospital
Halifax Regional Hospital
In 2010, CVCC Radiologic Technology Program received the maximum 8 year accreditation award from the JRCERT.